Cabbage Farming / Business Plans and Feasibility study
Cabbage Farming / Business Plans and Feasibility study is a free guide on Cabbage Farming Business. Intuitively, Cabbage are a leafy vegetable from the family of Brassica. Oftentimes, people eat more cabbage head than leaves. Furthermore, the leaves are cut out (dispose). Likewise, used for compost manure, or for feeding animals etc. Similarly, It grows better in a cool moist environment. Especially those ones that have temperature range of 55-60 F. Although, there are some species that can accepts temperature ranges form 20-25F.
More On Cabbage Farming / Business Plans and Feasibility study
Origin of Cabbage Farming
Pounder Point in Planting Cabbage
- Chose sandy-loam soil rich in organic matter
- Plant when the weather is favourable mostly during raining season
- First of all plant them in a nursery before transferring to the main field
- Use a very good variety as this can make or mar your success
- At best plant hybrid cabbage for better yield, quick maturity and disease/pest resistance
- Apply fertilizer at every stage of their development, organic manure is preferable
- Harvest early to avoid yellowing or botching of the leaves
LAND PREPARATION FOR CABBAGE FARMING
- Cabbage can be grow on any soil but a well compost sandy-loam is preferable for their utmost performance. Get a land and clear it from every weed and shrub that are not needed.
- Use tractor to loosen the land (for a large farm, otherwise shovel can be used on a small farm) if the soil is very hard it can be ploughed for about 3 times during the third ploughing animal dung should be added to the soil in readiness for planting.
- Prepare bed for the seedlings by missing equal amount of soil with the organic manure to be used.
- Dig a hole of 2-3cm deep and insert 2 seeds inside and cover lightly.
- You can use nursery bags, sack bags and surface rubbers in raising the seedlings.
- Transplant the seedlings to the main field you are using for cabbage farming after 3-4 weeks.
- They should be 14-16cm high at this time or when they show 4-5 leaves.
- The spacing should be 45cm apart and the rows 45-60cm apart. Their spacing also depends on the type of variety you are planting. Early cabbage takes 50-70 days, mid-season cabbage takes 70-90 days while late season takes 90-125 days.
- Prior to when you should plant the crop, water the beds vigorously to ensure that, there is enough moisture in the soil to establish the plant. Transplant the seedlings in the evening or when the weather is cold in other to prevent them from scotch and shock from the heat.
- The soil P.H should be between 6.5-7.5. Cabbage seed takes about 5-17 days to germinate, the germination days varies for different varieties.
IRRIGATION/MULCHING IN CABBAGE FARMING
- Irrigation should be done on a regular basis as cabbage requires a minimum of 3.8cm of water on a weekly basis. Drip irrigation is highly recommended. Cabbage cannot withstand drought so if you cannot water the farm especially during shortage of rain. Or during dry season don’t bother starting cabbage farming at all.
- During the time of intense heat water them morning and evening every day. But you can select days to water them during raining season except it rains every day. When the plants are matured you stop watering in other to prevent botching.
- Use compost to mulch the farm in other to keep the soil moist and to avoid excessive loss of water. It will also help in weed control and in the addition of nutrients to the soil.
- Cabbage plants are heavy feeders just like garden egg and onions as such manure should be applied at every stage of their development while being careful on the kind of manure to apply in those stages.
- The first manure you applied during soil preparation should be heavy (plenty). After 3 weeks of transplanting you apply and also apply again when the start bringing out new leaves.
- Finally, apply manure when the start developing heads so that they can form well such that will carry them until harvest. The manure to apply at this time should have more of potassium because they are good in plant formations.
PEST/DISEASES OF CABBAGE
SOLUTION; Plant resistant variety and practice crop rotation.
- Kaitlin; it forms smallish green heads.
- Danish ball head; it is for all-purpose
- Storage No. H; it has beautiful deep green heads.
- Chinese (Napa) cabbage 50-70 days
- Speciality cabbage etc.
- Cabbage is harvested when they are fully matured in other to stay longer in storage. They are not like pepper, eggplant and tomatoes that can be harvested before fully attaining formation. It is ready for harvest in about 2-5 months. The yield will depend on variety but a hectare can yield 70-80 tonnes or more if all agronomic conditions are fully applied.
- Harvest them when the heads are fully matured and firm. Or when the heads are closed up and the leaves wrapped around them are still in good shape. You can press the fruit with your hands to know if it is strong; a loose and soft head is yet to mature. If you allow the leaves to become yellowish or blotch it can’t stay long in the storage.
- Use a knife to cut the head from the base of the plant and leave about 3 leaves that will help protect the head from bruises, abrasions or damage of any kind. The remaining stem in the soil will continue developing while you keep on harvesting them just like in lettuce and water leaf.
- Wash them after harvest in other to remove insects and dirt before putting them away for storage.
- Locate market men and women and sell to them. Let people around you know that you are into cabbage farming and you will see them coming down on their own to buy.
- Sell to salad shops, supermarkets and shopping malls that are into foodstuff selling, hotels, restaurants etc.
- Advertise in online stores for more sales.
HOW TO GET CABBAGE SEED
- Exposed the cabbage plant to high temperature when the start forming seeds this will cause them to bolt, then seeds can be formed as they will not be able to form heads.
- Fertilize with phosphorus for a good head, when there is too much nitrogen in the soil they might not grow heads.
REASONS FOR CABBAGE FARMING
- It is very easy to plant and manage
- Intuitively, cabbage grow in most place with little capital. Likewise, it grows in the garden, backyard and in the field
- You can lease land to cultivate them since it can be harvested within a year, you can then source for another place.
- The demand for cabbage is high as such there is need to breach the gap
- less farmers are into cabbage farming for commercial purpose
- cabbage farming business is highly profitable and lucrative. It is sold at a higher price than any other vegetable.
Interesting Facts About Cabbage
Firstly, cabbage is one of the oldest vegetables, dating back to the 1600’s.
Secondly, cabbage is available in many varieties: red or purple, green and Napa cabbage, usually found in Chinese cooking, bok choi and Brussel Sprouts.
Thirdly, cabbage is: Low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, High in Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Potassium, Manganese, Vitamin A, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron and Magnesium.
The largest cabbage dish ever made was on 19 December 2008 in the Macedonian city of Prilep, with 80,191 sarmas (cabbage rolls) weighing 544 kg (1,221 lbs).
Also, A thick-witted person may be called a cabbagehead. In Hebrew, the term “rosh kruv” (cabbagehead) implies stupidity.
Drinking juiced cabbage cures stomach and intestinal ulcers.
If one is looking for ingredients of a low calorie diet, cabbage is at the top of the list. One cup of cabbage only holds about 15 calories. It is definitely a weight-loss food.
Similarly, Cabbage contains quantities of fiber and iron, which help to keep the digestive tract and colon in a healthy condition.
Cabbage, which is often lumped into the same category as lettuce because of their similar appearance, is actually a part of the cruciferous vegetable family.
Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, kale, and broccoli are notorious for being chock-full of beneficial nutrients. If you are trying to improve your diet, cruciferous vegetables are a good place to start.
The cabbage may help protect against radiation, prevent cancer, and reduce heart disease risk.
Intuitively, cabbage can vary in color from green to red and purple, and the leaves can be smooth or crinkled. There is a range of cabbage products available for purchase online. With less than 20 calories per half cup cooked, it is a vegetable worth making room on your plate for.
Lastly, this MNT feature is part of a collection of articles discussing the health benefits of popular foods. It provides a nutritional breakdown of cabbage and an in-depth look at its possible health benefits, how to incorporate more cabbage into your diet and any potential health risks of consuming this vegetable.
More Fast on Cabbage
- Here are some key points about cabbage. More detail and supporting information is in the main article.
- Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable.
- A chemical in cabbage may protect against the negative effects of radiation.
- The sulforaphane found in cabbage may help protect against cancer.
- Half a cup of cooked cabbage contains 81.5 micrograms of vitamin K.
Protection from radiation therapy
- A compound found in cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables known as 3,3′-diindolylmethane (DIM) has been shown to increase short-term survival rates in some animal studies on radiation.
- In a research at Georgetown University, rats were given a lethal dose of radiation. Some were left untreated, and others were treated with a daily injection of DIM for 2 weeks.
- All the untreated rats died, but over 50 percent of those receiving DIM remained alive at the 30-day mark.
- The same researchers ran the experiment on mice and found similar results.
- They were able to determine that the DIM-treated mice had higher counts of red and white blood cells and blood platelets, which radiation therapy often diminishes.
- It is thought that DIM has protective effects against cancer, but this study shows there is also hope for using it as a shield to protect healthy tissues during cancer treatment in the future.
- Another potential cancer-fighting compound found in cabbage is sulforaphane. Research over the past 30 years has consistently shown that consuming cruciferous vegetables is associated with a lower risk of cancer.
- More recently, researchers have been able to pinpoint that the sulfur-containing compound that gives cruciferous vegetables their bitter taste — sulforaphane — is also what appears to give them their cancer-fighting power.
- Researchers are currently testing sulforaphane’s ability to delay or impede cancer. Promising results at the molecular level have been seen with multiple types of cancers, including melanoma, esophageal, prostate, and pancreatic.
- Researchers have it that; sulforaphane has the power to inhibit the harmful enzyme histone deacetylase (HDAC). Also known to be involved in the progression of cancer cells. The ability to stop HDAC enzymes makes sulforaphane-containing foods a potentially powerful part of cancer treatment.
- Another study, conducted at the University of Missouri, looked at another chemical found in cabbage, parsley, and celery, called apigenin; it was found to decrease tumor size when cells from an aggressive form of breast cancer were implanted in mice. Researchers claim that their findings show that apigenin has the potential to be used as a non-toxic treatment for cancer in the future.
- Red cabbage contains the powerful antioxidant anthocyanin, the same compound that gives other red and purple fruits and vegetables their vibrant colors.
- In the lab, anthocyanins slows down cancer cell proliferation. Likewise, kill already formed cancer cells. Intuitively, it stops the formation of new tumor growths. It is not known whether these effects will carry over into cancer prevention or treatment in humans.
- The same potent anthocyanins in red cabbage that help protect against cancer have been shown to suppress the inflammation that may lead to cardiovascular disease.
- A recent report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition associated the intake of flavonoid-rich foods with a lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease and stated that even small amounts of flavonoid-rich foods might be beneficial. The high polyphenol content in cabbage might also reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by preventing platelet buildup and reducing blood pressure.
Immunity and Digestion
- A popular way to consume cabbage is in a fermented form such as sauerkraut and kimchi. Chocked full of probiotics, fermented foods might be one of the best things you can consume for your immune and digestive systems. Healthy microbes generate an acidic environment to preserve and develop flavor; the enzymes produced in fermentation make vitamins and minerals easier to absorb.
- The fiber and water content in cabbage also help to prevent constipation and maintain a healthy digestive tract. Eating adequate fiber promotes regularity, which is crucial for the excretion of toxins through the bile and stool.
- Recent studies have shown that dietary fiber may even play a role in regulating the immune system and inflammation, consequently decreasing the risk of inflammation-related conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, and obesity.
- According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, 1 half cup of shredded cooked cabbage (75 grams) contains:
- 17 calories
- 4 grams of carbohydrate (including 1 gram of fiber and 2 grams of sugar)
- 1 gram of protein
- Eating a half-cup of cooked cabbage would provide 30-35 percent of daily vitamin C needs. It also provides:
- 81.5 micrograms of vitamin K
- 11 milligrams of magnesium
- 22 micrograms of folate
- Plus, lesser amounts of vitamin B-6, calcium, potassium, and thiamin.
- Cabbage contains the antioxidants choline, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin as well as the flavonoids kaempferol, quercetin, and apigenin.
- Red cabbage tends to contain more of these compounds than green cabbage.
Contact Us Today, Let’s Help You Prepare An Irresistible Business Plan And A Feasibility Study Report
Do you need a business plan to raise fund for your business?
We can carry out research and develop MBA grade business plans that you can present to a bank or investor. Intuitively, Chris Farm Nigeria develops well self-explanatory, irresistible feasibility studies or business plan for your Business start ups, Business Growth or Expansions through either personal funds, Grants, or loans, which could be new or existing ones. We delight in writing for people under Academic sectors, production sectors, manufacturing sectors, processing or packing sectors, advertising sectors, marketing sectors and other related sectors on mini, middle and large scale businesses.
For your Agribusiness, either production, processing, marketing of any Agro-industry, our feasibility studies or business plan are explicit.
General Info On Feasibility Study And Business Plans
Intuitively, our feasibility study and business plans are explicit. Likewise, becomes irresistible when you show them to your investors or sponsors. It gives you a clear picture of what you are to see. Especially, when you put the feasibility study or business plans into use.
More Info On Feasibility Study And Business Plans
Similarly, it shows how much it will cost you to own your desired business, what your money can afford. The kinds of product you will need to minimize input in other to maximize output. Likewise, how much returns you will get at the end of each accounting year until your business break-even on its initial investment capital. Lastly, this will give the intending business person or investor or farmer, a vivid idea on the possible benefit he or she stands to gain, when he or she starts doing the business. However, the intending business person or investor or farmer will not need a soothsayer to make decision for him or her.
CLICK HERE to see what our Business Plans and Feasibility Study Reports has for you.
Intuitively, Our Business Plans and Feasibility Study Report has a unique content. Take a look at our it. Finally, be rest assured that we give you what you want if you place an order. For easy understand of your idea, Call us or send us an email for your request. And you will be Glad you did.
Pay For Any Service Via Clicking PAYMENT On the Menu
Finally, Know more about Catfish Farming Business by ordering for this book for just Ten thousand Naira (N10,000.00)
PRICE TAG: N10, 000.00
Mobile Fish Ponds For Sale All Over Nigeria
Furthermore, Fish Collapsible Tarpaulin Ponds Tips is a Simple guide For All Fish Farmers. As a matter of fact, Chris farm Nigeria welcomes you on Fish Ponds or Collapsible Tarpaulin Ponds Section. This is where we talk about Modern Fish Farming. Join our Facebook Niche Here